AN ARTEFACT CREATED BY THE WORLD – A SYMBOL FOR UNITY – A PERSPECTIVE THAT DENIES BORDERS
You might wonder: “What am I holding in my hands?”. It’s more than you’d assume, more than just a t-shirt.
This t-shirt can be seen as an artefact that people from all over the world have created and worked on. A symbol for the unity of our world.
Every participant is key to making it something that matters for creating a perspective that denies borders and visualizes the global connections of our transnational world.
“Travshirt” is an initiative by the German artist Kartenhouse. It is aimed to push people to be more social and to be more open about interacting with one another!
How does it work?
I will give out several t-shirts to strangers over the course of the next couple of weeks. They are asked to
- draw or write something on the shirt,
- e-mail a picture of their work or post on Instagram using #travshirt and then to
- pass it on to the next stranger 🙂
Perhaps because you’re socially anxious. Perhaps because you want to connect to your environment a little more. Perhaps because you’re seeking for new social relationships or romance. Or perhaps to just be part of a global world, to hold a t-shirt in your hands that has traveled through many human hands who share their perception of their surroundings in a drawing or in words.
What’s in it for Kartenhouse?
Not a lot. The project is some sort of social experiment. The answers to the following questions are of great interest:
- How and how fast does the t-shirt’s look change?
- What stories does the t-shirt tell after a while?
- Which stories happen by the act of passing the shirt on to the next person?
- How far do the shirts travel?
- Most importantly: Does something as simple as a t-shirt have the power to connect people?
I want to support you!
You can support me easiest by sharing my websites and the idea with your friends!
What’s the most recent uptdate?
On October 6, 2017, the first Travshirt was sent into the world. Below there is a picture of its state before it first changed its owner.